The Plan: Some Plates, Some Screws and Some Radiation, Too!


Oh, what a long morning it was! We started the morning with an 8:15 am prep for a 9:15 am bone marrow biopsy. I was already tired, so this just exacerbated the issue. I really had a tough time staying awake as we waited. Hurrah for Ativan and some new tech to make the procedure less of a stress, too! The young lady who performed the procedure was a Star Wars fan and dug my tattoo. She then proceeded to play a Céline Dion compilation as they began to work. I felt pretty good.

We finished up at the Taussig Centre and headed to the Crile Building to get yet another x-ray and then see Dr. NDr. N reminds me a little of what we'd get if Seth Meyers and my buddy Tim Blue had a baby, so that certainly doesn't hurt the situation. Because of this, I guess I didn't mind that he felt surgery as soon as possible would be prudent. Well, I didn't want to have surgery the night before my 50th birthday, so I put it off until the Friday just after.

It appears that the process will go like this:
  • Get off Revlimid until after the surgery
  • Surgery will happen on Friday, August 25
  • Plates and screws will be attached to my arm to strengthen the problematic humerus
  • Two weeks off from work to allow for rest and healing (anticipated)
  • Radiation targeted at the mass in my humerus over time to stop it dead...for now
It's all pretty exciting, but I hate the thought about being away from work for two weeks. This is really inconvenient, but apparently, this is the necessary course of action to take in order to get me to be right for a little longer. 

Still... it's a little exciting.

Comments

Popular Posts