Clouds in the sky (the simple, yet complex ins and outs about FATIGUE)

Anyone recovering from surgery or going through medical treatments can tell you that one of the most crushing things about the process is managing fatigue. Now, if you are not one of the aforementioned folks, it is common for people to think that fatigue is 1) merely a physical condition involving a lack of energy, and 2) something that a nap or sleep can easily fix. 

Nay, I say. Well, mostly "nay". Yes, a nap or proper sleep can help the patient recover short-term so that it is easier to get on with the rest of the day or even a portion of the day. Unfortunately, fatigue of this nature is deep-rooted and is hard to shake. Not only does the fatigue affect the person in terms of energy, but it also extends to the functions of cognizance and comprehension. Sadly, this component of fatigue is much harder to eradicate with rest. Poetically put, "just because it stopped raining, it doesn't mean the clouds have gone away."

I, as am sure many of you out there, have grand moments where 2+2=um...? or even You know, I know how to do this, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing this right at this second. It's frustrating and it adds to the level of stress we feel as we plod along through our days that are filled with What will I experience with my illness/recovery tomorrow?, Am I ever going to be healthy again?, How will my family get along without me?, and What are the next ten appointments and treatments on my calendar?

It's a tough place to be and all we, as the bravely fighting, are asking for is for those around us to realise that the solutions are not simple ones and that we need a little more time to get things done than we used to.



Comments

Popular Posts