Remember that time when we were a two-cancer household...? HILARIOUS!


Reality pretty much hit me hard the moment I got back home from a little trip out to California back in April 2015. By the way, if your doctor says it's okay for you to travel, DO IT!!!!! I cannot recommend enough how wonderful it was to get my head into a different space for a week.

Anyhow--Lou, my now husband, revealed to me that he’d been to the doctor due to some digestive issues and that the surgeon removed some polyps. We waited several days for the results of the biopsy and they just never arrived. I prompted him to call the doctor, which he did, and lo and behold, we got the results the next morning.

Lou went to the doctor the following week for a procedure. We looked at it as a procedure and not as actual surgery because they are hoped to excise the offending mass via a laparoscopic procedure. If the mass was identified as something more serious, they would need to schedule a surgery and then proceed with all of the necessary things related to that.

If you don’t think you can handle any additional things in your life, try this… or don’t. I really don’t recommend it, but the good thing was that I still remained stupidly upbeat and optimistic about everything. In my mind, I was going to go through my thing and Lou is going to go through his thing and both of us will emerge from this unfortunate period with medals and honors.

For those of you wondering, I don’t think cancer is contagious. At least that’s what they say. Having two people diagnosed in your household within a 6 month period isn’t impossible, but I would bet it’s not all that common. If it happened to you, raise your hand, send me an e-mail or let’s just go out and have a beer. There has to a be a club for us lucky individuals who have ridden the tandem bike of cancer-- right?

And really, was Lou that starved for attention? Was he jealous that everyone was being so nice to me? If so, I suggest picking something else: learn to change colour, juggle flaming stunt hamsters, or figure out how to teleport yourself to the moon, but by all means, don’t get cancer!!

Lou had a surgery to remove several inches of his colon in early June 2015--a mere seven weeks before I would go in to hospital to have my stem cell transplant. Talk about putting some pressure on someone to get healed! I told him to not worry so much about when I was going in for the transplant and more about when they would send me home. I mean, he would realistically have at least an additional two weeks of recovery time while I was in hospital. Which he did!

And here we are three years later and Lou is rocking it like a superstar. He's had great check-ups and didn't require any post-surgery treatments like chemo or radiation. Because of this, we can just get back to worrying about only one of us being ill and that suits me fine. Better me than him.

Comments

Popular Posts