Threat Level: Under 10 to over 80 in six months!


We knew they'd come back someday, but we just didn't know when. Those sneaky bastards... those cloned white cells with their own defective markers collectively made their return--and in larger numbers!

At the end of April 2018, I had a bone marrow biopsy (BMB) to see what was the level of disease present in my bone marrow. At the time, there had been a slight increase from 5% to about 7%. This was nothing to worry about, so we proceeded with the routine PET scan in July and that showed nothing remarkable, so off we went to New York at the end of September to see my secondary oncologist there. During the time between appointments, I was receiving shipments of Venclexta, an oral chemo drug. My primary said that he didn't want to step up to it just yet because it seemed a tad premature, given the numbers I was showing from the BMBs.

Upon returning from New York, I scheduled another BMB since the last one was already six months ago. I waited quite some time to get my results and those came back this past Friday, November 2, 2018. For whatever reason, the level of disease in my bone barrow had climbed from under 10% to around 80% during some period in the last six months. The doctor was concerned, but in typical fashion, I just asked what we would be doing next. He told me to start the Venclexta right away and that it would be replacing my Revlimid. Another drug, this one administered subcutaneously, called Kyprolis would be replacing my weekly Velcade injections.  

I was told that the combination of the Venclexta and Kyprolis had been quite successful for the bulk of the patients receiving this treatment. Dr. V said I should see an improvement within a month and that my energy levels should return to normal. Still another BMB is being scheduled for January so we can see where we are with this take down of the new clone army invading my system. 

I am scheduled to have an x-ray performed next week to see if anything is going on with my bones. Based on the localised CT scan I had a couple weeks ago, I think it should come out fine. 

I'm ready for another nap, so I am going to close now. Keep well and keep fighting the good fight. And don't forget to vote this coming Tuesday because our healthcare and prescription coverages are being toyed with and we cannot afford to let that happen. 

And most of all, be kind to each other.

Comments

Popular Posts