This galactically amazing family of mine...


I've referenced my fanatical obsession with Star Wars a few times here in this blog and I thank you for humouring me. As such, thank you for continuing to read this entry as I go back into that well once more.

Two weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to attend my fifth Star Wars Celebration. For those of you who aren't in the know, Star Wars Celebrations are Star Wars-specific conventions that have typically run between three to five days. Over the years, for me, at least, the conventions have become less about the convention itself and more about being with an assorted group of folks who've become my family. Many of them travel across the United States and some come from the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Germany, Italy and even South America! 

This year's Celebration was in Chicago, which made it a much easier journey--one which I could drive. I chose to drive for two reasons: 1) I could bring with me three costumes to play in and 2) I thought a roadtrip with someone I consider a kid brother would be fun... and I was right. Thank you Gregg! We started our convention experience on the Wednesday before the show started by checking in for ADA bracelets so I would be able to stand in shorter lines or have faster access to seating to accommodate the bone pain and back issues caused by my cancer. 

By the time Gregg and I had gotten through the line, we'd run into six close friends and I'd made two more--Andrea from Germany and Laura from Italy. This is why I enjoy these gatherings. 

On the first "unofficial" day of the convention, I ran into a familiar gentleman whom I'd met in Orlando back in 2017. His name is Jon and he too is dealing with a cancer of his own. We were standing next to each other in line, waiting to check out of the Celebration Store, when he spotted me. He probably heard my booming voice behind him, actually. Strangely enough, this was the same exact circumstance that led to our initial meeting two years earlier. I declared to him that this was in no way a coincidence, but rather the universe telling us that we definitely needed to exchange information and stay in touch, which we did. Jon was accompanied by his lovely wife, Carol and it was an absolute pleasure meeting her.

While the convention itself, including the panels and the reveals, the exclusive merchandise and all of the amazing costumes were impressive, there was no bigger thrill than running into my friends cum family at every turn. To receive an endless supply of hugs, smiles, laughs and stories from all of these amazing people over the course of six days was the absolute pinnacle of life and living. This was the reason that I make these trips as frequently as I am able. It's wonderful to be able to share our day-to-day lives online, but it is far more fulfilling to completely engage with these folks in the analogue world. I'd almost say that these engagements are most important as they keep me healthy, positive and full of hope. 

Each and every one of these people has done more to bring me life than you could possibly imagine. I love them all completely and thank them for helping me through my medical valleys and celebrating with me when there are milestones and successes. Without them, my life would be far less. 

To paraphrase Chirrut Îmwe from Rogue One, “We are with the Force and the Force is with us.”

I love you, my dear Star Wars family!

Comments

Popular Posts