"Yippee!" she exclaimed. Remembering my friend, Jenn Walker.

This isn't cancer-related, but it's my blog and I'll do what I want.

I met Jenn Walker in September 2018. She'd come into the temple to interview for the Lifelong Learning Administrative Assistant position, which was vacated by my friend, Robin a couple months earlier. Because Robin had been one of my best friends for over a decade, I was giving each candidate a pretty thorough once-over to make sure we would be a good match and, of course, if they'd be a good match for the temple.

I liked Jenn. She was warm, friendly and had the smarts to jump in and learn the position. The administration made her an offer at the end of a workday. I had a brief chat with my bosses before heading out. Jenn was heading out the door and I was a few paces behind her. I gave her an official "welcome" as she was getting into her fiance's car. I passed the car and headed for mine and when I was about 30 feet from her car, I heard something that really made me smile: "Yippee!" she exclaimed. 

How could I not be excited to work with someone who showed so much enthusiasm and gratitude for the job? I was equally excited and my inner voice also went "yippee". I was already bonding with her.

Jenn was only with us for three months before some health issues began to affect her attendance. We'd all been worried about her for some time because she exhibited issues with her breathing and her mobility. Jenn and I had gotten close rather quickly and I felt comfortable asking her specific questions about her doctor visits and what they were doing for her and why were they not addressing things that were clearly problematic. I was actually beginning to get angry because since I am clearly a trained medical professional (that's sarcasm), and could identify things that I'd come to know as signs of congestive heart failure. But of course, the doctors weren't seeing that. 

Jenn stepped down from her position at the temple in December 2018 and I was crushed. But this wasn't about me. It was important for her to address her health concerns and get well.

She saw a number of doctors and things were starting to look up as the year wore on. She was doing great until late summer, which found her in hospital for an extended stay. The doctors finally identified something wrong with her heart and told her that she probably only had six months or so to live. I'd stepped up visits with Jenn because I wanted to spend more time with her. I visited her at home until I started falling ill myself and didn't want to pass anything along to her and her fragile immune system. 

In lieu of in-person visits, we had regular phone chats and text exchanges. She followed my recent posts about my worsening respiratory infection and trip to the ER. I promised her this past Sunday that I would visit her once this stupid cough diminished and I didn't feel like I would put her at risk. She told me to stop worrying about everyone else's well-being as I am wont to do and to take care of myself for once. I told her I would, but that I would still be worrying about her. We laughed.

I got a text from her fiance this morning, asking me to give him a call. Getting a text like that at an early hour of the morning couldn't be anything good. I got myself ready for work and called him as soon as I got in the car. As I had feared in my heart, Jenn had passed away, unexpectedly, because of a sudden catastrophic event. 

Right now, I feel weird. I feel like a childhood friend was taken away from me. People insinuate themselves into my life quite easily because I let them, but Jenn was different in some inexplicable way. I don't know how to describe our friendship, but it happened fast and it was deep. 

Again, as with every other life I come into contact with, I am forever changed by knowing her.

Dearest Jenn, I want to thank you for your friendship, your love and your care and concern for me. You will always be here with me and I like that. I like that very much.

If I may ask anyone reading this, please keep her son, her fiance and her friends and family in your thoughts, meditations and prayers. I would also like that very much, thank you. 

Comments

  1. You will be blessed by her comfort knowing that you were her friend as she was yours. That kind of love doesn't diminish. It's forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Jennifer's brother Russell. Although we've never spoken or met, she has mentioned you. I want to thank you for all your kind words about my sister. I'm gratified knowing how much of a positive impact she had on ur life in the short time she was part of it. In accordance with her wishes, there are no plans for a big funeral because she is a being cremated just a public ,viewing starting 1 pm this Saturday at E. F. Boyd & Son funeral home, 2165 E 89th St., followed by a small private memorial at our parents house afterwards. You are more than welcome to to come and pay your last respects if you are able to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russell, I absolutely loved your sister and I shall miss her. I'm sorry that I missed this message until today and, therefore, missed the memorial service. I shall remember her until the end of my own days and am grateful that her life and my life intertwined.

      Thank you for your kind message. Please send all my love to your family.

      Delete
  3. This is Matthew, Jennifer's fiance and I miss Quinn so much my heart is so broken I'm leaving this message because I finally reviewed his wonderful words about Quinn and I miss him too he passed away shortly after he did and so I lost two people I knew and I'm still here and I'm moving on with Quinn's memory as best I can she was the type of person that absolutely changed my life and I will never forget her I love you Quinn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts