Daratumumab: Day Eleven...


I often reference the image here (or ones similar to it) when I am really not feeling particularly grand. These last two weeks have been particularly rough on my system--not necessarily during the infusion, though I did give in to the "rescue meds" last Friday when I started to experience that "closing up of the throat" feeling. But honestly, that went well as I napped between the hourly checks to make sure things were going well. 

Unfortunately, the post-infusion effects are the things I am finding difficult. Saturdays haven't been bad, but I attribute that to being hopped up on my regular Friday Dexamethasone dosing and the extra... extra... extra Dexamethasone I'm getting along with the Daratumumab infusion. 

Sundays have found me shaky and extremely tired. The muscles in my neck and back are really tight and the muscles and skin in those areas are sensitive to the touch and feel a bit like burning. Not only do I have aches in my back, but I also have them in my ribs. It feels like I got punched on both sides and all of this makes it quite difficult to lay down or fall asleep--even though that's what I find myself doing because I am zonked. 

Mondays have been extremely fun. I rise to find the previous day's issues gone and replaced by flu-like symptoms. I have terrible headaches, body aches, joint pain, and more fatigue. I also wake up to find dried blood in my nostrils. Even more fascinating are the gelatinous blood sacs that end up in the tissue when I blow my nose. This morning, I had one that looked like a large bloody slug. Yes, it's disgusting. I already know because I was there. Finally, my temperature is up between 99.2° F and 99.5° F. 

I rifled off an e-mail to my oncologist to see if this was normal and if these issues will taper off. I don't know if I can deal with how awful I've been feeling the last two if it plans to stick around.

Yes, I admit it. Sometimes I just can't always be sunny and strong. We shall see how it goes.

UPDATE:
I received an e-mail from my doctor this morning and this is what he said...

"OK. Pretty common response. Would take Tylenol (500 mg) Sunday morning, early afternoon and evening. Can use on Monday as well. But this usually gets better over time as your body 'gets used to' the drug."

Usually. Usually.

Comments

Popular Posts