Catching up with Dale and CAR-T therapy!


The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has approved CAR-T Therapy for people with refractory and recurring Multiple Myeloma. More on that in a minute. But right now, let's take a look at what's going on inside of me. 

I had my port installed last Thursday morning. I'm still dealing with my head thinking things about it. Before I had gone into the placement, I was told a  great number of things, but these accounts were given by people who'd had ports that were glued to their chest or from people who failed to disclose to me that there were two different kinds of ports. 

Anyhow, the port is in and they will be using it for the first time on Wednesday morning. This should be interesting. I will leave it at that. 

The other thing that I wasn't born with is the plate and six screws that is holding my right humerus together. I really don't notice this, but I do love the scar running down my bicep. Even four years later, I still think it's pretty badass. 

Let's move onto the ways my body is presently screwing up.

I have numbness on my face. The sensation is not unlike when a foot or a hand falls asleep. Unfortunately, this isn't going away and they still aren't sure what's causing it. The giant piece of mouth that I bit finally healed about two weeks ago and I have adjusted to eating with this lack of sensation on the left side of my face. The weirdest part is that my teeth on that side feel like they are huge and that my teeth aren't touching the way they used to. Thankfully, I believe there is nothing wrong with my teeth and this is just a bizarre sensory error. 

Most recently, I've developed a rather severe muscle strain in my inner right thigh. It's not a groin muscle pull, but the muscle between it and the largest quadricep muscle. I believe that I had muscle fatigue after a long walk last week and the strain came about due to an odd contraction of the muscle a couple days after. Hopefully, it will heal by next week. 

Now, onto the big news...

After years and years of clinical trials, the FDA has finally approved CAR-T (chimeric antigen receptive T-cell) therapy for Multiple Myeloma patients. The therapy has been used to great success in people living with Lymphoma and Leukemia for the last few years. I remember my first meeting with Dr. V and how he informed us about this revolutionary "living drug". I wondered if it would actually work and if I would still be around to receive this therapy.

The basic gist is that the patient's T-cells are harvested through a process called apheresis, the same manner stem cells are harvested. The T-cells are sent to a lab where they alter their function to attack the cancerous cells. The cells don't lose their ability to attack regular viruses or infections but are enhanced to locate and destroy the myeloma cells. Absolutely fascinating! These cells will thrive and multiply, with the intent that they will continue to keep the individual cancer-free.

I find all of this so completely "science fiction" and I love that I get to be the recipient of this amazing process.

"So when do you get this?"

I know, I know, I know! Have a little patience--I'm getting there!

Cleveland Clinic, like many other hospitals, I believe, started to make plans to incorporate CAR-T therapy into the treatment program for Myeloma patients quite some time ago. Since the process was already in place for other blood cancer patients, they didn't have to start from scratch. 

As for me, my doctor was waiting for the FDA to approve this. Yes, I know. They will approve a new neon-coloured cereal in twelve seconds or less but will take years to approve a successful treatment for another population of folks with blood cancer. Anyhow, Dr. V will start processing my information and submit me for the therapy. Like all things, I need to get into the queue, but it is expected that I will be able to have this done in May or June, which will likely move my return to work to sometime in July. 

I guess the best way to think about this is the building of a bridge and waiting for the middle section to be placed. 


If you'd like to read more about the FDA approval of CAR-T therapy, click through to read the article about Bristol-Meyers Squibb and Bluebird.

Comments

Popular Posts