Why Do We Do It?

A long, long time ago in 2017 (you remember that time, don't you?) when things were a lot more different in the world, I started this blog. From the very beginning, I said that having cancer was like having a full-time job. Nothing about that has changed for me and, as a matter of fact, it's actually become more difficult in some ways. 

Let me head off on a slight tangent. In addition to writing this blog, I also write some fanfiction. A character I created based on some of my experiences says, "Dying is easy, it's living that's difficult and often terrifying." Living with cancer is difficult and the different treatment options are daunting and sometimes quite terrifying when you factor in all of the possible side effects. 

So why do we do it? I would like to think it's more than "it beats the other thing". I would like to believe it's because we have families or friends--people who care about us--people we wish to spend more time with and create new memories with. And even if by some chance that's not the case, it's because there are more things we would like to experience before our time is up.

For me, I look forward to the time we are not bound by the restrictions of the pandemic and can move about more freely. I want to spend more time with my mother, my father, my stepmother, and other dear family members because I really haven't been able to. I would like to see my friends and have nice evenings with them. I want to watch my nephews and friends' children grow up. I look forward to traveling again with my husband. There's so much life to live!

I'm not willing to give all of that up easily. I will continue to take risks in selecting treatments for myself. I am going to push myself to be well and return to the best state of being I can achieve outside of Multiple Myeloma.

We are not merely cancer survivors--we are cancer thrivers. Take a few moments to look at your life, your world, and the people in it. Think of the good times you've had and then imagine the wonderful moments that are still to come.

This is why we do it.

As always, love to you all!

Comments

  1. Hi Dale,

    Love your blogger name The Busy Jedi. I just re-read your last three blogs. I read them on the 18th and wrote as I thought a nice reply only to have it erased when I tried to post it. You had to sign in and I could not remember the password. When I created a new password it forced me to start my reply all over again and it was late at night and our world of passwords put an end to my reply that night. Sad as it was a good reply. However 6 years of chemo for Multiple Myeloma has taken its toll. So I could not remember what all I wrote you.

    So let’s try again. Lol Dale I agree with your two comments. “Cancer is a Full Time Job” and “Dying is easy, it’s living that’s difficult and often terrifying.” A few of your blogs scared the shit out of me as your honesty really tells folks what it is like to have cancer as an everyday partner. Your 5 days with 24hr chemo treatment was amazing. I didn’t realize they offer that one. I was excited to hear your numbers came back good and you didn’t need a platelet transfusion. I have been praying everyday for you extra hard since I read the blog concerning the twice a week transfusions and trying to see Dr. V. I am so excited that you have three options and one being the Cart-T. Keep us posted as to which way you, Lou and Dr. V decide to go.

    As I said I am back in treatment and you asked how I am doing. Thank you for asking. I came out of remission in November and Dr. Maiti at the Moll Center said let’s not wait let’s get rolling. So the first week of January I started on a treatment of 9 Friday’s in a row of Daratumumab, Velcade and Steroids. I have gone from a M-Protein reading of .76, to .36, to .23 to now .14. Needing to get to 0.00 as you know. The two chemo drugs are the new injection style which makes them very easy to take with no side effects. However as you said in a blog. “Steroids are the little devil.” The steroids have been hell. Yet I am alive and getting closer to remission. I now start Daratumumab as a twice a month injection and Velcade as a three times a month injection. So I am not sure what happens once we get to remission other than we holler from the mountain top “ Thank you Jesus.”

    Dale I am honored to read your cancer journey. You are my hero as you fight this beast. Never Never Never give up. I will pray every morning for you and the other 50 folks with cancer I pray for. Courage Courage Courage brother. May you start back to work by mid-June as your goal. Keep us posted.

    Blessings to you and Lou,

    Mike & Marian

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts